- at what number of matches in a single tournament does the medical withdrawal rate substantially increase?
- does different ages of competition result in different injury rates?
- do males have more medical withdrawals in junior events than female players?
- at what number of hours of practice/competition per week does injury risk rise for the junior tennis player ?
- does some data exist that links the total number of matches per year with medical withdrawal rates?
- how many 10 year old players report specializing in only tennis compared to older players (i.e. 16 and 18 year olds)
Dr. Neeru Jayanthi (Director of the Tennis Medicine program at Loyola University Stritch School of Medicine and member of the ITPA Cerification Commission) provides a great review of some of his research analyzing injury risk in junior tennis players. He discusses information that he and his research team found from a series of studies looking at US Junior tennis players who play competitive sectional and national tournaments. The data provides some unique insights. Some of the areas discussed in this 5 minute video are:
The leader in tennis fitness, performance, education and tennis certification. Get iTPA Certified today!